Reanimated:
Reanimated:
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Reanimated:

A fan site and play by post roleplaying group for popular fictional universes—reanimated!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Issue 1: March of Mephisto

+3
Lady Kiara
Lycurgus_Annulus
Maeglin
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 7th June 2012, 14:55

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny sighed. “This is ridiculous. Move or I make you move!”

Another fireball was burning in her hand. Jenny was carrying a bag full of files and hard drives. She was impatiently standing half behind Dirk. Her eyes were glowing through the fog, while she was gritting her teeth. She didn’t like fog it was too cold in her opinion. She had troubles breathing and her skin was burning but not in the way she wanted it to. She increased her temperature to vaporize the fog on her skin. The air around her grew hot.

Last edited by Ariel Buttercup on 15th December 2016, 18:44; edited 1 time in total

152Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 13th June 2012, 21:16

Lady Kiara

Lady Kiara

Raising an elegant eyebrow, which served little purpose in the poor visibility, Tatiana had a moment to consider her options. While the girl seemed the more impatient and volatile there had been no mistaking the veiled threat in her companions polite request. They wanted to be allowed to move on, had she managed to avoid detection that would be the preferred solution however now that all they pieces were in play and distrust ran high in the air. There was no way they would allow Tatiana to remain after they left, they did not trust her, she could see the logic in that in reflection and in their position she would not allow an unfamiliar person to remain at her back, so she understood their motives. There was not to explain herself or her purpose not that she was sure she wanted to with these people, but some force at work, some kismit had brought her to these people and she trusted her luck. Whether this would end well or not she had no idea but time was running out and now it was time to start the Latvian Gambit.

"In your way or out of your way, your moves are predictable and therefore neccessary. I do not know what to say to make you trust me nor do I trust you to leave me alone should you pass. It would be a foolish move given your feelings and what you have done to previous guards. That leaves us only one option to end this impass."

She prepared to unleash the storm at her fingertips as emotions grew tenser around her and she could not resist the smile that often accompanied suitable challenge. "Bring it!"

153Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 13th June 2012, 23:38

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

For a moment Jenny considered following Dirk’s plan, but that was a stupid plan or well more just not the plan she would have come up with. She increased the heat around herself and sighed annoyed.

“This is seriously annoying, and way too much talking! Get out of our way!” Jenny didn’t wait for the intruder to move aside but threw another set of fireballs at her and then she ducked behind a desk.

154Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 5th July 2012, 05:56

PA NPC

PA NPC

The lights flashed in the guardroom. A silent alarm designed so that intruders wouldn’t have warning that they had tripped an alarm. The guards quickly grab weapons and stood in a orderly group next to the door, waiting for instructions. A technician was flicking though camera images, both normal and hidden, looking for this disturbance.

“There. Main records room. Star’s above, it looks like they’re tearing the place apart. What on Earth is that in aid of?” The Sargent didn’t bother to answer the technician’s questions, instead began to bark orders at his squad to move out. But then the door opened, and the Sargent’s voice wavered as the figure entered.

“Mr Vance,” the Sargent exclaimed, “this is hardly the time for an inspection.”

“I know,” replied Vance in an unemotional voice.

“My people are ready to move out and intercept the intruders,” the Sargent spoke, hoping to stress the urgency of the issue.

“This is a post-human threat,” Vance stated in the same cold voice, “My people will handle it. You’re squad will provide back-up only when we call for it.”

The Sargent nodded, then accidently met Vance’s eyes. He took a small, involuntary step back. Vance’s face and body were devoid of emotion, but the eyes weren’t. His eyes were those of a man screaming in agony.

155Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 11th July 2012, 01:21

Maeglin

Maeglin
Admin

"Jenny, no, wait don't!" Dirk cried as Jennifer launched a series of fireballs at the other woman.

Her response was quick, as Dirk expected it would be, and the weather-controller sent a burst of air at them, knocking the fireballs back and extinguishing their fire. Assuming Jenny to be the main target, Dirk threw a protective wall of energy in front of her. He didn't expect the air pressure wave to be quite so strong. Or so wide-reaching.

He was briefly aware of flying through the air, and then he slammed into a wall behind him. There was a sharp pain in the back of his head and he dropped, dazed, to the ground.

156Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 11th July 2012, 02:08

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny saw Dirk getting knocked into a wall and she had a hard time not to let her emotions overpower her. They were still in an airship and burning a hole in it might not be the best idea. She felt the fire rising from her finger tips slowly along her body. She saw the Dirk was still breathing so it was safe for her to attack the weird weather chick and keep her away from Dirk. Jenny threw more fireballs and tried to heat up the air to burn the other chick but it didn’t seem to work. She had troubles breathing in the fog, the watery air was hurting her.

When suddenly more people started to appear but something was off here. They seemed to be like them. Jenny wasn’t so sure anymore if the chick had told them the truth that she was not one of the guards. She quickly ran to Dirk and shook him gently. “Hey big boy time to wake up we get more visitors and I could need some help.”

157Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th July 2012, 23:44

Maeglin

Maeglin
Admin

Dirk got to his feet with Jenny's help, swaying slightly and shaking his head as if that might reset everything in his brain.

He saw the woman that Jenny had been trying to fight.

But he also saw the slew of armed guards that were pouring in through the door.

He looked from Jenny to the weather controller.

"Are we done here?" he asked, nodding at the bigger problem on their hands.

158Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 29th July 2012, 21:44

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny looked angry at the other chick. “Sure if she is done making everything wet.”
Jenny felt the fog cleared up, well no matter how much she hated this stupid water in the air it had one good thing it. It covered their whereabouts.
The guards started shooting and doing more super power stuff when suddenly Jenny felt one of the bullet go right through her right shoulder. “Argh!” For a moment she went down on her knees. “I hate when this happens.”

Jenny put the files on the floor and threw a couple of fireballs at the guard that shot her, she managed to melt his gun into a unusable clump, but most of her fire hit the ship and the heat melted holes through walls and doors. Jenny wasn’t sure when and where they stopped burning.

“That’s better.” Jenny grinned and picked up the files again, but she only used her left arm.

159Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 1st August 2012, 23:14

Maeglin

Maeglin
Admin

"Jenny, oh my gosh!" Dirk cried, diving and weaving through the rubble to haul her to her feet. He had lost much of the information they had been trying to collect already, and they were going to lose a lot more than information if they did not get out of here quickly.

"It's fine, I'm healing," she ground out through gritted teeth, and Dirk actually saw the bullet hole in his childhood friend's shoulder beginning to heal before his eyes.

"Okay," he said, with a frown, and beckoned the weather-controller over. "We need to get out of here," he said. "I'm guessing since they were shooting at you, too, that you're on our side, at least until we're all clear of this."

Concentrating, Dirk erected a strong, tall wall, slightly curved around the three of them. Luckily, with Jenny flinging fireballs throughout the room, they now had more than one exit.

He looked at the weather-controller. "Can you keep us aloft if we jumped out of here?"

She appeared surprised, but nodded. "I could. But we have been losing altitude for the past fifteen minutes. So we are perhaps not as high off the ground as you thought."

Dirk's eyes widened. "Well, let's hope it's not heading for any heavily populated--"

"It's not." This woman seemed to know a lot.

"Okay, um, good. Everyone out, I'll cover us."

160Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 1st August 2012, 23:42

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny grinned, Dirk seemed to be surprised seeing her healing progress start. Well she knew that it looked weird when the bullet popped out of her shoulder.

“Out sounds good to me.” Jenny got up and followed Dirk through one of the holes she had created. And then she saw something that made her freeze. Below them wasn’t population, it was something far worse…

No! Everything but... this... wet hell!

“Um is there any chance we cannot crash into the water?” Jenny was carrying as many of the files as her left arm could while her right hand was burning ready to shoot more deadly fireballs at anyone that would dare to stand in their way. Small blood drops marked her way, but she didn’t pay any attention to her shoulder.

Last edited by Ariel Buttercup on 23rd August 2012, 22:23; edited 1 time in total

161Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 12th August 2012, 23:04

Calvin

Calvin

“Yes. No… Maybe.” Scott looked at Mark with confusion while Mark seemed to be trying to outstare the eyes of the armoured helmet facing him.

‘He was innocent, do you hear me? Innocent!’

‘What the Hell did you do? She was just a bystander.’

‘Do you really think protect him will make up for all your mistakes?’

“Do these still work?” Alex blurted out, snapping Mark back to the present.

"Mr. Mawk, what's a 'by-standow'?" Annie asked, cocking her head at him as if she had heard his memories.

“I doubt it,” was Mark’s semi-amused reply to Alex. “They haven’t had any maintenance in almost ten years, let alone been used. I’d be lucky if they didn’t’ blow up the moment I tried to switch them on. I’m sorry Annie, what did you say?”

“What's a 'by-standow'?" Annie repeated.

“Erm, never mind. I’ll explain later, or your brothers will.” Mark slammed his mental barriers shut. Though if the kid could read his mind without him noticing at her age…

He turned back to stare at the suit again, then nodded to himself.

“I’ve made up my mind. I am going,” there were cheers from around Mark.

"'Bout time," Scott mock-grumbled, with a grin he couldn't supress.

"I knew it! I knew you'd do the right thing, just like dad always said!" Alex shouted, punching the air dramatically.

“But not yet,” Mark clarified. “Your dad’s on a mission that requires stealth, so I can’t very well go barging into the middle of it. But once they’re done I’ll join them. Hmm, better arrange someone else to look after you kids. I think I know just the person.” Mark turned to leave the room, followed by the Roger children.

“And remember, no telling your dad about this unless you really have to. Now, let’s get you something to eat.” Mark fished in his pockets as they headed back up the corridor, until finally remembering his wallet was still sitting on top of the bar at the other end of the street.

“Damn. Ok, now I’m going to trust you kids with something else. And heaven help you if you break that trust.” Mark hoped he’d put enough emphasis to make it clear he was serious, but not enough to scare them. Back in the workshop they headed up the stairs to where Mark removed a bank card from a drawer.

“Right, you can use this card to buy yourself some pizza. Whatever you do, keep the total under $50 alright? Now I need to make a different call.” Mark left the kids and crossed the room to the business phone line.

“Hey Vic, it’s Mark. What? Yeah, I know it’s been a long time. Ok, a very long time. It’s a long story, and I don’t think I have the time to cover it all right now. I’m at the garage with Dirk’s kids. Yes, that Dirk and yes, he has kids now. I was as shocked as you are. If it’s not a hassle would you be able to keep an eye on them. Erm…”

Mark looked back to where the kids were gathered around the other phone, pointing enthusiastically at the menu.

“Yes, I don’t think feeding them is going to be an issue. There’s no rush to get here but…” Mark’s eyes strayed towards the computer monitor, still airing the news. Which was displaying the headquarters of Futura, sagging to one side in the air, smoke pouring from one of its engines.

“Oh Shit. Make that an urgent rush. I have to go, NOW.” Mark slammed down the phone, vaulted over the rail onto the garage floor below, and began to sprint towards the armoury before screeching to a halt. He couldn’t leave the Roger’s kids just sitting here. A sound from the door caught his attention, and he was amazed to see a kindly looking old lady standing in the open doorframe, knocking politely.

“Excuse me, but I believe I am needed here?” the lady spoke.

There was an excited cry of ‘Gramma’ from above.

“Huh!”

http://www.balaldie.com

162Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 23rd August 2012, 22:02

Maeglin

Maeglin
Admin

"It'll be okay, Jenny," Dirk said hastily, cramming more papers and electronics into his waterproof bag beyond its carrying capacity, relieving Jennifer of her slighty singed ones. "We'll go down together," he concluded, looking up at her as he sealed his bag. "I'll look after you, don't worry."

Then, standing, he went back to the problem at hand: how they were going to make it out of this alive. He put his hand to the comm at his ear. "We need to regroup with the others--hello, Renegade? Lee? You there?" He paused for an answer, but none came. "Shucks, no one's answering," he said.

Just then a few shots rang out, going wild over their heads.

He pushed the two women toward the edge but away from the gunshots. "Okay, we're not far enough away from these guys, yet. Climb out onto that ledge for me, okay? We need to keep moving, and that's the only way. Looks like we'll be riding this thing down. Stick close to me--worst case, I'll put the Red around us to protect us from the fall."

163Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 23rd August 2012, 23:42

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny didn’t need someone to protect her she was perfectly fine in doing that herself and it was not the thought of crashing more the thought of crashing in water was what worried her. She knew for everyone else it would be a lot saver to crash into water while for Jenny a crash on anything hard would mean lots of broken bones a day in pain tops and she would be fine.

“Don’t worry about me when we crash, make sure you don’t meet the ground too fast!” Jenny mumbled not complaining when Dirk took all the files and then pushed her aside. Jenny slid down the wall and peeked around back at the guards. Jenny started giggling and put down her hands on the floor and lit them up a small barely visible line of fire ran down the corridor and when it reached the guards a huge fire ball explode. The bad thing was, she damaged the base a little bit more.

“Maybe that wasn’t my smartest idea.” But Jenny still grinned when the guards caught fire at least some of them. Suddenly there was a weird cracking, like metal was breaking. “We better move I think this ship had its bests days a while ago.”

Jenny tried not to think about the Hudson below them, but she followed Dirk down a corridor. She was hoping it would lead them to a rescue plane, capsule or whatever. But no they weren’t lucky like that, they went through a door and ended up onto the ledge. Below them they saw the water come closer.

Okay, now I am worried.

“Dirk please tell me you have an idea how we not drown in there.” Jenny actually considered going back to the guards, maybe they would prevent the downing. Jenny didn’t like to think about it but she was sure that she could actually drown.

Last edited by Ariel Buttercup on 25th August 2012, 08:56; edited 1 time in total

164Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 02:31

Maeglin

Maeglin
Admin

They were all clinging precariously to the side of the ship to avoid the gunfire from the guards as the ship careened towards the river, picking up speed.

"Can't you swim?" Dirk asked, but Jenny only shook her head. She actually looked terrified. He took one hand away from where it held onto the ship to pat her hand comfortingly. "I should be able to make a boat, or a raft or something with the Red. You may not even have to get wet!" he said, with a smile. "Anyway, we aren't too far from shore, so worst case scenario, just--"

The rest of what Dirk had been about to say was lost in an explosion that rocked the ship. He didn't even have time to react, and indeed was knocked out: one moment he was clinging to the hull talking to Jenny, and the next moment his head and hands hurt and he was underwater.

The choking and need for air brought him back to himself, and Dirk flailed, confused, before propelling himself to the surface and coughing up a great deal of water.

"Jenny!" he called, "Jenny!" to no avail once he got his breath back. The ship was far above him--looking much bigger at this distance--and he couldn't see where or if Jennifer was still on board--and it appeared to be mere seconds away from crashing explosively into the water.

On the one hand, Dirk wanted to be nowhere near that thing when it hit the water.

On the other hand, Jenny needed him, and even if he couldn't get there in time (he wished he had his wife's power of flight, or his son's speed), he was yet determined to try.

Last edited by Maeglin on 26th August 2012, 02:41; edited 1 time in total

165Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 09:59

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny starred at the bit ledge Dirk was a moment ago. He had just promised she would be fine and there she was all alone on a airship above the water. This was really bad.

"Dirk?" She knew he wasn't there anymore but she still had to try, just in case he was just hanging somewhere a little below. She had no idea what now to do. Jenny was not a planning person, she was good in screwing up plans, but not making up working plans. Jenny had to options go back in and face the guards and most like get captured or well jump and have the final test if she was able to fly, it never worked before she always crashed mostly badly.

166Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 15:06

PA NPC

PA NPC

After the first explosion, Renegade and Lee had concluded that the stealth approach had in part failed. After the fifth, they had started running down the corridors, trying to find the nearest exit. Renegade’s hand dived into his pocket for the radio, only to find that his pocket was empty.

Sprinting round a bend Renegade took in a scene that was both good and bad. Good, as they had found Jenny. Bad, because there was a squad of armed guards pointing weapons at them.

The guards opened fire and the two of the dived for cover. Risking a glace, Renegade saw that Jenny had seen them, and was hurling fireballs at the guards to keep them distracted.

“Hold on Jenny, I’ll try and get us down safely,” Renegade called out. Reaching out with his mind, Renegade tore off a loose piece of the hull next to the ledge. As he swung into to underneath the ledge, the shape twisted and altered into an open box. Renegade looked towards Jenny, telling he to get ready to jump as he and Lee broke cover and sprinted for the ledge.

The next second something erupted through the corridor, sweeping Renegade and Lee of their feet. Not an explosion, but a wave or barely invisible energy. Renegade looked up to see a single man advancing, his hand glowing with an almost imperceptible purple light. Then he turned to face the ledge. Only to see that the ledge, and Jenny, had disappeared.

167Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 17:09

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny saw Renegade and she actually hoped that they could prevent the worst case scenario, when suddenly the ledge erupted and the worst possible horror started. Jenny fell and as weird as it was the fall was a rush of adrenaline Jenny hadn’t felt in a few months. With ease she set her entire body on fire, she must look like a shooting star on its way crashing right into the water below her. She had no idea where Dirk was and if he was even still alive. The water came closer and the rush left her.
As soon she touched the water she felt this enormous pain. She felt as if she got skinned alive. The pain and the fact that she never learned to swim let her sink like a stone. For a brief moment she thought she saw Dirk not far from but it wasn’t him she wanted in this moment. There was just one man she wished to be here with her. She hated that she was so weak wishing he was here. With all her strength she managed to break the surface, with only one thought. Letting him know that despite what she had yelled at him, she always wanted him to love her and taking care of her as he used to.

“DADDY!” It was just this one high pitched scream Jenny did, before she stopped fighting and sank into the depth of the water. She was okay to die and let the water fill her lungs. She had been cold but now she was just numb and saw memories… or dreams she wasn’t sure. Jenny always knew she would die eventually and apparently her death was like the past 10 years alone and dark. When suddenly she saw the shadow man appear in front of her. She greeted him happily, after all he was the man that took care of her in her dreams, for a very brief moment Mark’s face seemed to flash in the shadow but then it all went black.

168Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 18:33

Calvin

Calvin

He’d paused just long enough to sweep up he gear and grab an old jetpack from storage. In less than a minute he was airborne and sweeping across the city. In the distance Mark could see the airship that until a few hours ago had been the pride of Futura fall lazily towards the river. Every now and again small explosions mushroomed from the side. Then, as he got nearer, there was a streak of fire, shooting out from the side of the ship straight towards the water. Paternal instinct kicked in and Mark was certain the flash had been Jenny. Then he winced as the jetpack gave a while, and Mark a shock for good measure.

By the sound of things there was a loose wire, at least. Not something you want on your back when you dive into the water. But if it was a choice of immense pain or rescuing Jenny, well, there wasn’t a choice. And then he heard the cry above the sound of the airship crashing into the bay.

“DADDY!” Mark dived towards the water and the cry. With a single swoop he brushed the surface of the water and caught Jenny just as she started to go under. From behind a wave swept over them, the result of the crashed ship. The jetpack began spluttering and one side erupted in flames, the loose connection igniting. Ignoring the pain and burning, Mark aimed towards the river bank.

They landed roughly on the shore, the jetpack finally giving out. Mark quickly check on Jenny, and flooded with relief when he saw she was still breathing. Her eyes flickered open, and Mark pulled her up into a hug.

“I don’t care if you hate me. You’re still my daughter, and I’ll die before I let you down again.”

169Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 19:59

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny was coughing and grasping Mark’s shirt. She tried to take a deep breath but her lungs had trouble reacting.

“I know, or I think I know.”

Jenny closed her eyes again, she was too damn tired to stay awake. Like every time she got in contact with a lot of water at the same time her body was shutting down to keep her core burning.

“I think I remember who you are daddy.” Jenny whispered into Mark’s chest. Her head was hurting because of the two memory versions colliding with each other. “Can we go home?”

Jenny was badly shivering, but not letting go of Mark’s shirt. She had lost him once this wouldn’t happen a second time.

“I never hated you I just didn’t know what really happened. And I thought you knew I was back but never wanted me back.”

170Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 21:12

Calvin

Calvin

“I wanted you back. I’ve wanted you back since I lost you. I just never thought that you could come back. I’m sorry.” Mark finally released the hug, but kept one arm round Jenny. Seeing her shivering, Mark unslung the jetpack and unscrewed the plasma coil from the still functioning jet. It came out with a hiss, warm to the touch. Mark pressed it into one of Jenny’s hands.”

“Not exactly a hot water bottle, but it’ll help keep you warm.”

Rising to his feet, Mark effortlessly picked up his daughter and started walking up the bank away from the river.

“Come on, let’s go home.”

171Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 25th August 2012, 22:13

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny cuddled close to Mark and the plasma coil. She was so freezing cold.

“Damn I hate water!” Jenny’s teeth were shattering. “I hope you have a car it is so cold.”

One good thing had the being completely soaked she didn’t feel her injured shoulder anymore. Suddenly she lifted her head a little and looked worried around the bank. “Where is Dirk? He fell down into the river. He can swim, right? I mean he can survive a fall like that?” Jenny sounded worried about her friend.

172Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 26th August 2012, 00:44

Maeglin

Maeglin
Admin

It was pure luck that brought Dirk's gaze to the bank of the river in the split-second of gasping for air he took before he was about to go under again to look for Jennifer. How could he have let such a thing happen? He told her he would protect her!

He saw Mark standing on the bank, and Dirk waved at him animatedly, shouting for his help before he realized that something was in his arms and, sure enough, that something was Jennifer.

Thanking the stars above, Dirk began pumping arms and legs to swim to shore.

"Oh thank goodness!" Dirk gasped, hauling himself up onto the bank. "Mark, you got her! Jenny, I'm so sorry, I--the ship exploded and I couldn't find you, I was looking in the wreckage for--"

"Whoa, okay, easy, kid, take a breather," Mark told him.

Dirk fell easily back into taking orders from Mark, and took a moment to get his breath back, leaning forward on his knees for a moment before straightening back up. "Jenny, gosh, are you okay? I'm sorry, I--"

"What h-hap-pened to you?" Jenny asked.

Dirk touched his head, where blood was still running down the side of his face. "Oh. Must have got hit in the blast." His hands were burned in a few places, too, apparently. "All in all, doing well for having the part of the ship I was holding onto blow up in my face," he said with a disarming grin.

Mark huffed out a laugh. "Yeah, he's got a gift for surviving explosions," he said, and turned away.

"What about you? Did the jet-pack fry you again?" Dirk demanded of Mark, but the older man kept walking. "Hang on, Mark," Dirk said, sterner this time, and put a hand on Mark's arm. "You're not walking back like that. Let me call us a ride. I've got a buddy on the force who owes me a favor. We can be back to yours in twenty minutes."

173Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 31st August 2012, 21:08

Calvin

Calvin

“Tell him to bring towels. And plenty of coffee.”

As Dirk pulled out his phone Mark pulled Jenny closer. The minutes passed slowly as they waited for the car. Then something caught his eye.

There was a shape moving across the river. Mark strained his eyes trying to identity it, and then with surprised realised it was Renegade hovering a large sheet of metal over the surface of the water. There were two prone bodies on the metal plate with him, Lee, and a female Mark didn’t recognise. Both looked badly injured, and Renegade himself was look worse for wear. Renegade brought the plate down on the bank, taking a moment to catch his breath.

“They’re both unconscious, but alive,” Renegade explained as Mark and Dirk moved to meet him, Mark still holding onto Jenny. “I need to get them straight to a hospital.”

“Dirk,” called out Mark, “Get your phone back out and call for an ambulance as well.”

“No need, it’ll be faster if I take them myself,” replied Renegade.

“Are you crazy, there’s a good chance PHMA’s already got Enforcers on the…” Mark began, but Renegade had already lifted off into the air with his charges. As Mark watched them go he head a crunch of gravel as a cap pulled up nearby. Dirk quickly moved to greet his friend, and they all traipsed into the car.

“Where to?”

Mark gave him the address and the car headed off, while Jenny tried to huddle as close to the radiator as possible.

174Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 1st September 2012, 19:32

Ariel Buttercup

Ariel Buttercup
Admin

Jenny was so tired, her wet clothes were still burning on her skin. She didn’t want to tell anyone but she really wished she could rip them off. She knew it sounded totally stupid that the water was burning her skin but it was. She sighed if her fire would work right now she would dry in no time and feel a lot better.

“I’m so c-c-c-cold.” She whispered with shattering teeth. She still was holding the plasma coil tightly embraced. “I need new clothes, mine are wet.” Jenny had a hard time not to sound like a whinny upset little girl. “I hate water.”
Her eyes were so heavy, and kept falling shut. The only good thing was that the bullet was stuck in her shoulder just fell out of it because the hole was nearly all healed. But all this healing exhausted her.

175Issue 1: March of Mephisto - Page 7 Empty Re: Issue 1: March of Mephisto 7th September 2012, 05:16

Maeglin

Maeglin
Admin

"DABBY!" Annie yelled, pouncing on him as soon as they came in the door.

They had gotten a ride with one of Dirk's buddies from the force, a very good friend of Dirk's, it turned out, who neither asked questions or insisted they go to the hospital, and promptly forgot he saw them as soon as he dropped them off. Billy worked in narcotics, usually undercover. He was familiar with not asking questions.

They had got Jenny mostly dry by the time they got back, but she seemed still cold. They cleaned up cuts and bruises--though nothing could be done for Jenny, whose body was healing well enough on its own--and had made themselves presentable by the time they arrived.

Mark carried Jenny inside. Dirk carried the bag of information.

Which he almost dropped as soon as his children attacked him at the door.

"Dad! Dad! Are you okay?"

"Did you get all the bad guys?"

"Dabby dot a boo-boo!" Annie shrieked, louder than her brothers, and pointed to Dirks' brow, where he had taped a bit of gauze.

"Just a scratch, sweetheart," he said, scooping her into his arms and kissing her. "And what are you doing out of bed? It's late!"

"Gramma said you'd be home soon, so we could stay up," Scott explained, just as his mother in law stepped into view.

"All right, children, get out of Mr. Mark's way, come sit over here and drink your cocoa," she said, smiling warmly, and the children quickly scampered back to do her bidding. She turned to Jenny: "Hello, my dear, I'm Mrs. Crawford. Come along with me, we'll get you changed out of those clothes and get something warm in you."

Mark looked loath to let go of his daughter, but Mrs. Crawford's smile couldn't be argued with, and anyway, getting out of her wet clothes and drinking hot cocoa was probably exactly what was on Jenny's mind right then, so she nodded and went with her.

'Mind reader,' Dirk tried to mouth, pointing at his mother in law behind her back, but while Jenny quirked her head at that, Mrs. Crawford only said, "I heard that, Dirk. Go get cleaned up, yourself."

"Yes, mom," he said, but one look at Mark told him they had other things to do.

"Mark," he said, but "Mark," he had to say again, louder, to rouse the older man from staring after where Jenny had just left. He held up the bag and lowered his voice, but his children were busy watching the cartoon that was on the TV. "I think we got something you might want to take a look at."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum